Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm More Tech Savvy Than You Would Think

I know lately I have complained about how things aren't what they used to be but one thing I will have to say I feel like I have tried to keep up with pretty well is things related to computers. Now you have to remember my first experience with a computer was in the late 1980's while working for the State of CA. Back in the dark ages they didn't train alot outside of the workplace so over the years a good percentage of my computer experience has been "do it yourself" for me. And actually I have to say I think that I do pretty well.

The reason for this epiphany is last night at our monthly Business and Professional Woman's Meeting we had a 20 something speaker who is president of one of the other clubs in our area. Her presentation was on membership and how all groups and organizations including ours is going through some rough times in retaining membership.

The XYZ generation categories always come into play here due to changing times. I hate to be labeled but most people in my age group grew up in an age of not really being tech oriented. For the last several years I have prided myself in doing pretty well. Our business has had cell phones for over 10 years, (no I don't text message and probably won't because I am too cheap to add to our plan).

Computer experience is such that I can do pretty much everything I want except program and usually fix big problems. I would rather go to a technical person for that and thank goodness I haven't had too many issues with the 3 computers we have had over the years.

I just recently learned to blog late last year thanks to a good friend of mine, and I really enjoy it and find that it works for us. I also started a blog for the company that has worked great to get information to clients new and current and hey it's free!!!

I have a myspace and facebook page (I prefer myspace) and have gotten a few "friends" on both. I instant message a few people in CA occasionally to catch up and e-mail what seems like every minute of the day. It almost sounds like the computer has become another appendage to my body, ok it probably has but I don't mind. I still haven't gotten David and probably never will experienced on the computer, he played games for a while but that got boring for him so he leaves the computer to me. I always chuckle when people as me if he has an e-mail. He doesn't even open up his snail mail.

I do occasional write a note the old fashioned way with a pen and paper for those who rebel against technology and I do enjoy it. So even though it isn't with ink and a feather I haven't totally given up the good ole things and don't believe anyone should.

2 comments:

L S Fisher said...

Cindy, I jumped in and learned technology just like you did. I got my job because I was willing to "learn" how to use a computer. I learned to program in RPG and Visual Basic. RPG is now outdated and young people don't understand the language to maintain the programs written it it. Visual Basic helps with spreadsheet macros. Believe me, blogging is a lot more fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy, first of all - thanks for becoming a fan of my blog! I am glad to have a fan from the US!

Even I am a 'Gen Y' I only recently started blogging too. So you are doing pretty well!

Keep blogging on!

Joe