Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, January 24, 2009

U.S. Figure Skating Nationals-Cleveland,OH

Well its the beginning of the competitive year for figure skating and as usually I am watching all the coverage on the television.

It brings alot of wonderful competitive skating memories back to mind that I had the joy of having.

The difference is each year it's someone new that comes on the line of history makers. Since it is not an Olympic year the hype isn't what it usually is it's a little like politicians its a "get in and get your work done" season.

I am not sure who the winner's will be. I hear alot of the top competitors are "out with injuries" which is always a bad thing. Knock on wood in the 25+ years I skated I never had a "major injury". Most were surface injuries, bumps, bruises and the time I poked my rear with my blade--don't ask it was stupid.

Although my National competitive experience was with a synchronized group, it still was the most wonderful time in that period of my life. I competitive with them for four years. The traveling and stories were the best friendships in my life. I am so happy to still keep in touch with my room buddy,hairstylist,shopping assistant, Pam. She still keeps me informed on what the west coast skating world is doing although alot of them have "retired". I hope to hit the ice with her, not literally, when I am out in August.

As I am watching now I remember the excitement, sweaty hands, the knot in your stomach, but as soon as the music started and you took that first step the adrenalin pump was something that still is hard to explain. I still hear a piece of music and sometimes catch myself dancing in the privacy of my living room as I do my routine. I hear alot of music today that I think "wow that would be great to skate too".

Well I will sit back, relax in my nice warm chair and watch and remember.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Cindy, I always wondered how a skater could put herself through the stress of competition. In most things when you fail, a few spectators know it, but in a televised competition the whole world sees you fall flat on your butt. I have to give them credit for having the courage to follow their dream.