Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Remembrance


On a previous posting I have written a little about my granpa Conner. For most of my life he was the only war hero that I knew. As the stories went he was one of several kids living in Bluefield, West Virginia when he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He was a Boatswains mate. Of course he was proud of his duties during the war, but rarely did he talk about any of his time overseas. I knew he was in China, Japan, Australia and New Zealand and ports in between. He like most who were in any of the branches of service kept those stories private to a point.

When asked once why he didn't eat Chinese food, his comment was "I ate enough of the sh** overseas". He had trunks of treasures from that time, he also kept a scrapbook on board ship and my granma kept one at home. His were mostly about the various newsworthy stories that were going on at the home front and hers were stories about battles where he was plus all the special letter's he would send to her and my mom.

One of the stories I remember and could never really verify was that he was at home on leave when they hit Pearl Harbor. He was a part of the Battle at Midway also and was injured by shrapnel in the stomach. For the rest of his life he needed to wear what looked like a woman's corset.

Even after he left the Navy, it was always a part of his life. The only color my grandparents ever painted their house was "battleship grey", he wore grey Chino's (hence his nickname).

I sometimes think that's part of my love for the State of Hawaii. Both trips we have made the boat ride to Pearl Harbor. I feel a sort of connection with my granpa in that if he would have been on ship he would have probably never been a part of my life.
When I make my trip to CA this summer I will be paying my respects to him at his resting place. Overlooking the Vincent Thomas Bridge, crossing the Port of Los Angeles. High on a hill looking out at the water he loved.

Not a day goes by that I don't miss you and wish so much to tell you how special you were.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Thank you for sharing about your grandpa.