Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Wearing Many Hats

As a parent you never know what will be asked of you from your family. I have done things I didn't want to do and also on the flip side things I have jumped at the chance to tackle head on. When it comes down to our children it has always been a little difficult for me not to jump in and do things for them at various times while they were growing up. I think every parent battles this issue, some more than others.

Several years ago I first heard the term "helicopter parent". I am not sure who coined this phrase but it is something I know I am not. When the kids were growing up when it came down to school projects that they were required to do, I took from how my parents raised me, they stood in the background, gave little to no help when it came down to it.

I always had to bit my tongue when I would go to parent nights at there schools, you could always pick out the projects that the parents had put a little more into than the children so that their child would get the highest praise. Why they don't realize it doesn't help their kids but hurts I will never know. I have always felt, you don't need to praise your children everytime they take a breath, that's not how the world is and you are guaranteed to fail at least once so be prepared, it helps for them to fall down, believe me it does!

I remember when our son was in Boy Scouts and he needed to build his pinewood derby. He knew his Dad loved woodworking so he asked his Dad for a few tips. Although David told him what he thought he needed to do with the tools and gave a little extra support he sanded, painted and shaped that piece of wood into a 1st place winner. That is one of many things we always prided ourselves in teaching our kids, if you start something finish it to the best of your ability. That held true throughout school and has now spilled over into their careers.

When Jennifer from early on loved taking pictures, little did we realize that would be what she would ultimately want to do. (She first wanted to be a veteranarian). When she was in high school and did the photos for the yearbook for two years I admit I tried to give her a little push for photojournalism. A little of I guess the "storyteller" thought she would be great at it. Also she would be able to travel all over to wonderful places. I admit I guess I was living out a little dream.

Later when she came to us and said the two best schools in the country were in Santa Barbara, CA or Turners Falls, MA, we really didn't know what to think. Coming from CA I new #1 Santa Barbara is very expensive, #2 the school basically was "on your own, no housing facilities" you get the drift. I immediately thought Turners Falls, sounded like Bedford Falls from "It's a Wonderful Life". So off we went on spring break to visit. It was your typical New England town and they had all the attributes of a school we knew she would get the right education for photography. Some of the top photographer's in the country and the world have went their or taught at.

Well after her year their, graduation and a really tough start, (especially coming back to Sedville and trying to start a business) she had her first wedding this weekend. I have to say I was proud that she asked me to be her "photographer's assistant". I really didn't do much other than carry the camera bag but the previledge to be their was wonderful.

The Mom in me was so proud, to be able to stand back and let her do her job. The more she does the more comfortable she will become. I know I was pretty comfortable and previledged to be a Mom that knew "I think her Dad and I did a pretty damn good job"..

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

That's great news about the wedding gig!