Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Sigh Continued

As I said on the previous post, this week has been filled with highs, lows and everything in between. I was counting the days for David to return home on Thursday night. I told him please try and not wake me up as I new he would be getting in rather late. Usually he can sneak in pretty well but this one wasn't one of those times. I had been so exhausted and relieved from my news on Thursday that I fell asleep rather early, only to be woke up with him getting his bag caught on the bell I have on the door (I kept it on even after the kids left, it was my makeshift alarm when they would sneak in later than I liked), he then dropped his boots on the floor and bumped into the chair, as he made it to the bedroom the dogs were starting whimper and scratch, I told him he could forget trying to be quiet as I was already awake, amazingly I had no problem falling back to sleep.

When we woke up Friday I asked him what his plans were, "Nothin". He said he would tag along with me to the store (which I knew probably wasn't the best idea, like a kid we end up with more in the cart than needed). We got halfway through the store when my cell rang. My MIL was frantic. My FIL had passed out on the living room floor, hit his head and was slightly dazed. She hesitated to call the ambulance but I said go ahead and we would be right over. Anyone who knows my FIL he very rarely complains and has been a trooper with dealing with my MIL's cancer and has taken on alot. When the EMT's arrived they asked him if he wanted to go and he said yes. Wow he must feel bad I thought. The entourage followed to the emergency room where we sat for the next 7 hours. Tests, scans and finally they admitted him and he has spent the weekend in the hospital. More tests on Monday and hopefully answers (his blood pressure was high and he has one kidney to add to all this).

I know it pained me to see two people married 59 years in June, the look in their eyes and the fight they have been through with health issues. One would be lost without the other. He is a man of few words. They have worked as a team for the 27 years I have known them. I have used them as my blueprint to some extent. I think one of the main differences for me is that I have always been an independent person to a large extent, where my MIL hasn't. She chooses to be dependent on him fully. She never learned to drive a car, she has chosen not to educate herself about household finances, and her world is "she asks no questions".

I know I will someday be in likely the same life situations they are in health wise but I am so thankful I was raised to be for the most part independent.

I know one thing this past month I have learned: Learn to say "NO", try not to take certain things seriously, live life to the fullest, and try, try not to worry, duh easier said than done, but it's a work in progress. Breath, and enjoy the sunny days, it doesn't matter where you pray.

Love what you have, you never no when it could be taken away...

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Wow, Cindy, sounds like you have more on your plate now. Hope both of your in-laws enjoy many more years together.