Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Comes to an End-Hope for 2009


Well as the year 2008 comes to a close in a few hours, David and I have been packing the remainder of the Christmas decorations and putting them up in the attic for next years' appearance. I always think this time is bittersweet because it seems like we just get everything as we want it and it's time to take them all down. Although we started out earlier this year it just seems to come to and end quicker year after year. Of course he is now out buying additional bins to pack the new additions he just doesn't understand and I don't either why we always seem to have to do this each year since we are always getting rid of old things, broken items etc. Oh well, life goes on.


2008 has been a very busy year. Matthew got married and we added a daughter-in-law Tiffany to our family. Happy that they are both working and doing well.


Jennifer graduated from photography school, moved home, moved out with Scott and also an addition of a puppy to their mix-Lily. She is working, trying to get her business off the ground and getting used to taking care of her own puppy, although she still manages to come by almost everyday--along with Lily.


We got through the first half of the year pretty much unscathed except for the terrible storm we got caught in coming back from picking up Jennifer's belongings from school. But after months of claim forms, copying, phone calls etc. our trailer was replaced. We contemplated a change in our business during this time but both of us didn't want to throw in the towel, and "it all worked out in the end" as David likes to remind me. Thank God for his positive personality, we are Ying and Yang but we don't know any other way.


Health wise David's mom is still continuing to forge ahead as a skin cancer survivor, patient. Good days and bad days, like we all have, her's are just a little rougher. Going through this experience with her the past 4 years has opened my eyes to alot of the shortcomings of our health care system. I truly hope that if I am ever in a situation like this that I have the mindset to be able to cope. I can only hope that our family never has to experience anything like this ever again, but hey I know I am kidding myself, it is a part of life.
I have enjoyed the time I have been able to spend with family and friends. My activities still continue to be a big part of my life which helps to keep me sain or insain whatever the case is at the time. I hope that I am able to make some changes in my life that will help me to continue life as it has been. Change is a good thing, just maybe a little harder to do as I get older. But hey sometimes I still think I am a youngster instead of seeing that special birthday coming only a few years away.

Over the past 14 years or so, I have come to read over and over again the "Serenity Prayer" or whatever one chooses to call it. I know it is one that is instrumental in AA but I think it fits whoever wants to use it in there case. I have a copy that sits in the office on my cabinet that a friend of mine gave me that I worked with in CA during a rough time in my life. Every time I need to remind myself of its purpose in my life I not only think of here, and that time but also how true the words are. I am sure I will read it over and over in 2009 also. I especially like "accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can" because sometimes my mind/personality gets a little clouded by things I don't have control, or wish I did have control over.


So may 2009 be a little brighter for us all. Take things day by day, sorry for those people who still follow the five year or ten year plans, I have always thought it was crazy, but I guess someone has to be different..

No comments: