Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Baking a Dying Tradition?

For as long as I can remember the weeks leading up to Christmas you pulled out the cookbook and either found one of the old favorite recipe's or tried something new.

I can remember my grandparents yes both of them starting early in the kitchen and spending days in there baking candy and cookies. My granpa was usually in charge of the candy (usually the family favorites were Marshmallow Fudge, Divinity) and cookies usually included Peanut Butter Blossoms, Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal raisin) and also a dreaded Fruit Cake (sorry for those fruitcake lovers I have never found one I could swallow).

I have my granma's original Pillsbury's Best Butter Cookie Cookbook priced at 20 cents that has tattered pages,and penciled recipes inside. Many of the recipes have been re-named over the years but each year it's a wonderful memory to pull it out and make some of these treasured items. I have been blessed by all my families in that I love to cook and like to think this is one good thing I received from them.

I know it would be faster, easier and probably cheaper to just walk into the grocery store and pick up cookies, candy etc. but it just wouldn't be the same. Baking is something that has always been relaxing and fun to me and I know if more people would just take the time to continue cooking or even just learning to cook whatever it may be instead of going out and picking it up they too would eventually get the joy those of us who cook do. It isn't always best to take the easy way out plus people do really appreciate the time you have taken to actually bake something for them. Ok I admit I also love the praise doesn't everyone.

Although this year I am trying some new recipe's I am sure my family will be disappointed that I am not making all the favorites but also, at this point if I have the stuff around I will eat it before it gets to them and I really don't want that to happen. My willpower still is low during this time of year.

I treasure the weight I have lost and don't want it to appear back on me. You know that is just one of those Christmas miracles I don't miss.

So if you receive any homemade baked good from family or friends during the next few weeks take a minute and think back to this tradition, you might even catch yourself pulling out that rolling pin, turning on that oven and spending a little fun time.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Cindy, I admit that I do little to none when it comes to homemade goodies. My mother-in-law used to make all kinds of candy and cookies at Christmas time. I loved being there on candy making day! I think peanut brittle is so much fun and so finicky. Now, Ginger makes the cookies and candy. She always takes a tray to Four Seasons--a tradition my mother-in-law started when Jim was there. They always look forward to the homemade goodies and are amazed that she continues to do this for them.