Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Christmas Tree-Fresh vs. Artificial


Well we went that road I vowed I would never travel again. I guess it's true never say never. This year marked a temporary end to our tradition for the past 27 years that we went the artificial tree route. There was tears and apprehension (on my part) but I guess depending on how you look at it I took the "green" way.

Let me go back to a time that cemented my reason for purchasing a "live" tree. I grew up at a time and I am sure that there are several people who can back me up on this that lived with the now "retro" tinsel look tree with the color wheel or the green cellophane look trees of years ago. Living with a fireman as a dad we were more concerned with the fire safety than the look or smell of a tree that had been cut down and brought not only the fragrance (something we are not allergic too like some) and just the experience of having one. So until I ventured out on my own I made a vow I would never go back to the dark side. (Just kidding)

Well in the age of "being green" and also with our schedule each year we have a very short time frame of purchasing a real trip. Which usually entails before a rain/snow storm and whenever a vehicle other than a car is available to go down and retrieve it from the sole Sunrise Optimist group that sells them here in town. Gone also are the days of "flocking" not an option here so the possibilities have been cut down. Although I will no longer be contributing to the cause of the Optimist I hope they will understand.

Being positive the trees of today do look almost real, they don't shed, and the expense will not be as great but sometimes there is just somethings associated with Christmas you don't want to give up.

I guess this is my way of becoming more flexible, you be the judge.

No comments: