Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bells Were Ringing for the Kettle

For the past four years I have had the honor to volunteer to ring the bells for the Salvation Army Kettle Campaign. This year I did it as a part of the Business and Professional Women's group that I belong too. Some of our members graciously gave up one hour to ring and although I am not sure what our total was for the day, I am sure we had a sizable amount donated that we can be proud of.

Except for the strong blowing wind that seemed to hit everything in sight, not only my Santa hat and many other hats around the entrance and a few runaway shopping carts here and there the weather was extremely nice to us this time. In years past I have experienced bitter cold, snow on the ground as it should be at this time of year.

With the wishes of Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays the greatest joy is seeing the young children break from there parents to rush and push in there handful of coins into the kettles. It's also exciting when larger bills get pushed through the slot and of course whatever is contributed can be appreciated by those who have come upon hard times. It makes me appreciate what we have and pray that my family hopefully will never have to experience such times, but if we should need any group that this one would be a kettle away.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Hope you had a great time! Last year my grandson rang the bells with me.