Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, December 12, 2008

Ornament Giving 101


Many years ago at a loss at what to get me for Christmas (believe me I am not someone who is hard to buy for) David unleashed a monster that has snowballed into a life of it's own.

Since this is the time of year when it is "Not" hard to find anything "ice skating related" in any store around he lovingly purchased an ornament. I really wish I could remember which one was the very first but since I have several, that one escapes me right now. I haven't counted them in several years but enough to fit on a 4ft. tree that we designated several years ago because they overtook our family tree. Be it Hallmark collectibles, Precious Moments, if they have made it I probably have it.

In all fairness, I started collecting figure skating memorabilia long before the ornament's started, but David was the first one to purchase my first collectible item 26 years ago. What started as an item sharing my cabinet that held my skating trophies, then became a curio cabinet that I got Dec. 19, 1985 when we moved into our home in CA. I still have the cabinet, full, plus another cabinet which is full also.

I treasure each and every piece of I have received over the years and it hasn't been without some broken pieces. After the Northridge Earthquake unfortunately I lost a few pieces that were unable to be replaced. I can't put a dollar amount on what I have but it keeps a little bit of skating in my life on a daily basis.

No comments: