Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Santa Baby


A couple of days ago I was looking through my skating album and I came across a picture that brought a Christmas memory about a special "Santa" in my life.

For several years I completed in a Showcase of Skating Competition at my home rink each year. It took place in July and its basic premise was you could pick special music including vocals (which back then you couldn't use during normal competition events). Among the music over several years that I chose was Bette Midler's "Wings Beneath my Wings" and also a group number of "Jump" by the Pointer Sister's which we dressed in workout clothes and did a Aerobics number. I did a female pair number with one of my partner's in crime as a hobo that year also that was also fun to the music "I Ain't Got a Barrel of Money" (Side by Side) by Kay Starr. One event that was really hard was they played music three times and you had to make up a routine on the spot, which showed how "artistic" you could be.

Pam also wanted to recreate a number that she had seen before called "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt. She could use props but the key for this number was you couldn't "move" otherwise it would be considered a pair number. At first she was going to get a stuffed Santa and prop it in a chair but she found a costume and figured she would find someone to wear it.

Well "my" Santa was the perfect size but lacking in the bulk department but nothing a little extra filling couldn't fix. My Santa was a beginning skater but no problem because she just needed him to stand and she would push him out onto the ice, sit him in the chair the rest was easy. The number turned out really great and she ended up getting second place.

It was fun bringing a little "Christmas in July" and the best part nobody could guess who Santa was...I'll never tell....

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I have one small question. You say you lived in California and there is a photo of you that says BHS'79. Did u by any chance grow up in Berkeley? just wondering because thats where I live.

L S Fisher said...

That's a great Chrismtas in July story! What great memories you have of your skating years.