Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Diary, Journal, Blog-Whatever


It used to be you picked up a pen or pencil and opened a little covered book that may or may not have a lock and key. Jot your most intimate secrets, dreams and thoughts and hope that a brother or sister (never had to worry about this one) or parent would get into it and read it.

I received my first diary when I was about 12 from my granma for Christmas. She too had a diary that she wrote what she eat and did each day. Pretty boring by today's standards. Mine of course was filled with what boy I liked at the time, arguments and disagreements with girlfriends or something my parents were making me do. I wish I would have kept all my diaries but unfortunately I didn't think ahead to how great it would be to have them now to reflect on.

Then it was on to high school where usually your English teacher required you to keep a journal every day. He or she supplied the topics to get you started, some interesting other's you wondered what were they thinking but it basically got everyone to think a little. I always enjoyed doing it and really it is what got me into writing. I recently found a book that a friend from high school had jotted alot of little poems and sayings into and gave me for Christmas. It's a little faded because she wrote most in pencil but it was fun to go down memory lane. I also found a couple of letters I wrote to myself regarding my non-existent love life at the time, WOW that seemed like a lifetime ago and truthfully I guess it was.

Now fast forward to the new technology and the blog. The blogs have taken over where the diary left off and beyond. The differences are you really have to think before you write because all the world can see, leave a little to the imagination but get your point across the best you can. May it your own and have fun with it. It is really your opinion amongst alot of critics but that's what makes the world go round isn't it?

You never know it might stir up the novel writer in all of us.

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

I always did much better writing in my diary than I did the journals we had to write in school.