Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Time Flies in 2009

I can hardly believe that we have already crossed off the first month of 2009. I guess it's true the older you get time just wiz's by. I have always thought there just isn't enough hours in the day and sometimes you just can't pack enough into one's schedule but also when I sit back and think that this will be the last year in this decade and better yet it has been three decades since high school it really makes a person think about all the things you have either accomplished personally or seen accomplished during this time.

Usually on Sunday's while I am getting ready for church or just starting the last day of the weekend I watch the Sunday Morning Show. They had their 30th Anniversary also this year. They went through all the milestones in the past 30 years and when you really stop and think about it their have been some truly amazing accomplishments. The list could go on and on but:
the obvious are computer technology, cellphones, and all the other technology that we just can't seem to work without in our lives. To think 30 years ago we actually had to pick up a land line phone and make a call or put a coin in a payphone, now you can hardly find payphones anywhere, and yet you can't leave home without cellphones. I know in h.s. we didn't even own a colored television much less a remote control of any kind.

One thing that was ironic on this story on the program was that in 1979 we were in a gas crisis and home interest rates were at 12% or more. Sound somewhat familiar. Jobs were hard to come buy, thank goodness I got my first full-time employment in July, 1979 at surprisingly the Employment Department. I was thrilled to make $650.00 a month. I thought I had hit the big times. My have times changed. Some how that 10 year cycle of change seems to happen more frequently then we all would like but I guess we have to all take the good with the bad.

Politics have changed, the world continues to change. Some changes are a little harder to except as we get older but hopefully I will look forward to the many evolutions and except them all. Only another 30 years will tell..

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

Well, Cindy, you and I try hard to keep up with the changes. My grandkids know to phone me instead of text me, though. I prefer a keyboard when I type! Besides with all the abbreviations, I'm not sure I would know what they are saying most the time.