Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Valentine


Unfortunately, as we get closer to the day of love, my special valentine will be on the road. Believe me it isn't the first time that we haven't been able to spend that day together and it probably won't be the last but in our heart's this day is really just a reminder of those that we love whether they are here in body or spirit.

Valentine's Day was always special growing up also. Of course we did the usually valentine swap as kids in classrooms, some of them were pretty interesting. My parents and grandparents usually always gave me a card with a couple bucks inside and probably a small Whitman sampler with just enough candy so you didn't over indulge. Flowers weren't a big deal until my sweetheart and I met than it was usually roses of some sort along with something else.

Of course there is always the sad moments of the day also. When I was 17 my granpa had a stroke early in the month of February. You know how people say they think when people know they are not going to make it they do things in advance of the passing well that would be my granpa. He always prepared his valentines way in advance and put them in his little cabinet. He actually passed on February 18th but Valentine's Day kinda came and went that year as you could imagine. When we cleared his things out there were the envelopes addressed to each family member.

Processing that type of event even that young was hard and I refused to open my valentine for a full year. There was the uncertainty of what he included (maybe a note) but being the quiet man that he was it was just signed as usual and five dollars inside.

To this day, and its been 30 years I still have a hard time in the month of February. The one bright spot was that my daughter was born in February many years later so I guess it all cancels itself out.

Granpa there isn't a day that doesn't go by that I don't miss you and wish you could have witnessed all my accomplishments but I know you and Elvis (his favorite) are dancing up in heaven and having a ball. Early Happy Valentine's Day..

No comments: