Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Heart to Heart Moment

The luncheon was a great success and as luck would have it I won a door prize. A gift card to a local grocery store. Actually our whole table was very lucky. Out of 10 women at our table, half of them won something and one friend of mine actually one two items. Lucky girl.

Then as I returned home I got comfortable and enjoyed skating on television. Their was a special "Skate for the Heart" showcasing amateur and professional skaters.

One of those skater's was Ekaterina Gordeeva. For those of you who have followed skating in the past she with then husband Sergi Grinkov were the Olympic, World and Russian pair team for many years. Her husband Sergi Grinkov passed away at the age of 28 of a heart attack during a training session in 1995. I remember following their pair career and watching their love story unfold on the ice. I also read her book "My Sergi". She skated a special program in memory of Sergi to the theme from "Love Story". It was a hanky moment and the fact that it was sung in French was a double tug at the heart. Since I don't speak the language it felt like one of those secret moments that were between the two of them that millions of people were watching.

My path has crossed twice with "Katia" in my past. The first I was at the airport in Los Angeles meeting a family member and she was leaving on a flight. I remember other people recognized her also. She was and still looks very "tiny". The second time I had made a trip out to CA and a friend and I went skating at one of the newer (bowling alleys turned into rinks) and Katia and her now husband, also a former Russian skater owned the rink. She was training her daughter, Daria. (I had been to this bowling alley many times with David when we were dating many moon's ago). Small world...

Be heart healthy this month and from now on......I know I am....

1 comment:

L S Fisher said...

You are talking about some of my favorite skaters! She sure looks fantastic on the ice. I saw her a few times in Kansas City with Stars on Ice.