Quote for the Day

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" -Colin Powell

Friday, February 6, 2009

Go Red For Women Month


I hope everyone is wearing red today. "Go Red For Women" is probably one of the most important causes that we as women can learn about and be supportive of because it literally effects all of us one way or another.

In my family both biological and adoptive the women had some form of heart issues. My adoptive granma had congestive heart failure for years and that is ultimately what she passed from. Although she was not overweight and her diet was not full of fatty foods (if anything she eat like a bird) it is what eventually took her life.

My biological granma had several heart attacks, was on medication for years, her diet wasn't the best although she was not overweight, she had many things against her. My biological mom was just an accident waiting to happen unfortunately. She was overweight, smoked, didn't eat the proper diet and it was literally to late for anything to work for her. The age of 60 was too young and I missed alot. So with all this I have taken alot from their mistakes. I am eating right, never smoked, exercise regularly and hope with alot more work what happened to the women in my life, won't happen to me. At least I can try and cut the odds a little.

Our BPW meeting last night tied into the "RED" with the 2nd Red Purse Raffle. It was a wonderful success and look forward to what we can do next year to help provide scholarships to women who need them. Tomorrow I will attend the "Go Red for Women" Luncheon/Fashion Show here in town where I am sure that the room will be full of "RED".

I like to think that "RED" also means fire and I think that The Heart Association has gotten the "FIRE" under alot of women to help fight heart disease. Hey all women should be fighters, don't stand by and let other's do what we need too for ourselves. Also we as women need to be role models for the young women that will help make the world a better place

No comments: